Well I have NO idea where May has gone, but did you know it’s Memorial Day weekend this weekend? Holy cats that came up fast. I always consider Memorial Day weekend to be the kick off to summer. I haven’t done a Summer Bucket List in awhile and thought it would be fun to do one this year of all the things we hope to or plan to do. I will fully admit something – I was kind of going through the motions last summer. Between a death in the family, training for my triathlon, trying to potty train Ollie and get him ready for preschool I found myself stressed more and not enjoying the summer as much as I could have been. My hope is that this year we’ll slow down and enjoy it more. Without further ado, here is my list!
I thought I’d share a picture of the colorful list I made for fun. In case you can’t read my writing, I’ll type it here as well.
(1) BBQ’s with friends in our backyard. We did this a few times last year – free and fun, you can’t beat it.
(2) Go swimming at the beach
(3) Visit a berry patch and pick our own strawberries, make pie and/or jam.
(4) Replace the decking on the deck and possibly the sliding glass door. Well, they can’t all be fun can they?
(5) Spend a week in a cabin at Itasca State Park. We’ll be doing this in June, can’t wait!
(6) Go to a pizza farm. This is on my list every summer and we have yet to do it. I am really hoping this will be the year!
(7) Shop at the Farmer’s Market. We’re not doing a CSA this year so until our garden grows, we’ll have to get fresh produce from the Farmer’s Market instead.
(8) Do one of the movie in the park nights. The park near my sister-in-law is showing Moana later this summer so we’re going to go.
(9) Disc golf as much as possible. Duh.
(10) Bike ride to a park and have a picnic. We have lots of parks near by, there is no excuse to not do this.
(11) Visit the brand new Children’s Museum. Again, no brainer! We get a chance to get a sneak peek very soon!
(12) Go mini-golfing and then out for ice cream. Ollie loves mini-golf. And getting ice cream after just sounds like a good idea!
(13) Check out the renovated Minneapolis Sculpture Gardens. They were closed for construction last summer, but I can’t wait for them to be open this summer!
(14) Travel to Duluth to meet Thomas and Friends. This one is on the calendar for August. Ollie is going to be so excited!
(15) Visit the Como and Minnesota Zoos, maybe try out Como Town (fun little amusement park next to the Como Zoo). I think Ollie’s finally old enough and big enough for some rides.
(16) Backyard Bonfires with beer and S’mores. Could go along with the BBQ’s at number one. Sprinklers and water tables if it’s too hot for bonfires.
(17) Trip to the Minnesota State Fair in August. It is pretty much a given.
(18) Camp out in our own backyard. We have a tent. We want to try it. We’ll see how it goes!
(19) Hang out at kid friendly taprooms with food trucks. We stumbled on one last summer that even had live music and it was a blast.
(20) Go to a parade or outdoor festival. Ollie’s preschool will be marching in our local parade too, we might have to go to that one whether we march or not.
(21) Run a couple of 5ks. Jen and I made the decision to skip the triathlon this summer, she’ll be in the process of moving so it’s just too much. But we have a couple of 5ks we’re signed up for and it will be nice to sprinkle those into the summer here and there. They are far less stressful!
(22) Check out a splash pad or swimming pool. We haven’t been to the new one in our City yet, so maybe this summer we’ll check it out.
(23) Spend lots of time with family and friends!
There are other things I thought of even after I finished this list, but this seems like a pretty good base point. I won’t be disappointed if we don’t get to everything this year, but it gives me something to reference on days we’re trying to figure out what to do! Do you have a summer bucket list?